The Tamiya Clod Buster is a 1/10-scale monster truck released September 21, 1987 by the Tamiya Corporation. With its four-wheel drive, four-wheel steering, twin Mabuchi RS-540 motors and 165mm tires it quickly became one of Tamiya's most popular radio controlled model kits.
The Clod Buster and its related models virtually spawned a dedicated aftermarket industry which created a host of modifications to improve performance and durability. Many small businesses have popped up over the years to cater to just the Clod Buster owner and a few have since gone on to have great success manufacturing parts for other R/C models. The model's body is a detailed replica of a Chevrolet pickup truck, but the current "Super Clod Buster" has a different grille and tailgate which make no reference to Chevrolet, presumably for marketing and licensing purpopses.
So large is the aftermarket for the Clod Buster that it is possible to build one entirely of aftermarket parts with no Tamiya parts whatsoever.
Tamiya Bullhead Edit
The Tamiya Bullhead which was released November 13, 1990 is basically a Clod "clone." Although it carries a taller semi-tractor type body, the chassis is mostly identical to that of the Clod Buster. The other differences between the Bullhead and Clod Buster (other than the body) lie mainly in the color of the plastic used for various parts. The Bullhead has a red chassis, while the Clod has a black chassis. The shocks, gearcase bumpers, end links and a few other small parts are yellow on the Bullhead; these same parts are red on the Clod Buster. Other minor differences on the Bullhead are its chrome-plated wheels, chrome suspension bars and a chassis brace.
Tamiya Super Clod Buster Edit
In February, 2004 the original Clod Buster and Bullhead were discontinued, but owing to the model's continued popularity, Tamiya released a new version called the Super Clod Buster. The only differences between the two are the colors of various parts which were changed from red to blue, the removal of Chevrolet badging and emblems and the addition of the chromed wheels and chassis brace that were only available on the Bullhead.
- Scale: 1/10
- Length: 18.90" (480mm)
- Width: 14.96" (380mm)
- Wheelbase: 10.63" (280mm)
- Front tread: 10.63" (280mm)
- Rear tread: 10.63" (280mm)
- Weight: 8.60 lbs. (3900g)
- Chassis: ABS plastic tub
- Suspension: Solid axle/trailing link
- Damper type: Eight plastic coilover friction shocks; oil-filled are available
- Drive train: Dual gearboxes, dual motors
- Gear ratio: 30.1:1
- Differential Type: Bevel gear
- Motors: Dual Mabuchi RS-540
- Speed control: Three-step, forward/reverse mechanical
- Wheels: White ABS plastic
- Tires: "V-lug" heavy equipment chevron pattern
- Body/material: Chevrolet Fleetside, styrene
- Radio: Two-channel surface frequency (not included)
- Battery: 7.2V, 1200mAh nickel cadmium (not included)