Power comes from the larger-than-usual TRX 2.5 Racing Engine™ and performance-tuned exhaust giving the Nitro Rustler a top speed (depending on terrain and other conditions) of approximately 47 mph (76 km/h), making the Nitro Rustler among the fastest vehicles in its class. Changing the clutch bell can push the truck past 50 mph (80 km/h). The engine is easily started with Traxxas’ onboard EZ-Start™ push-button electric starter.
It is built around a double-decked, blue-anodized T6 aluminum and composite chassis and features a bellcrank steering system with high-torque steering servo. Weight distribution and suspension geometry are optimized for racing.
The Nitro Rustler 2.5 is Ready-To-Race® with its "ProGraphix" painted body and TRX Pro-Star™ chrome wheels. Traxxas' TQ™ radio system is preinstalled as well.
Traxxas lists other specifications for the Nitro Rustler 2.5 as follows:
- Magnum 281™ transmission with ball bearings
- Adjustable, easy-to-change gear ratios
- Extra long, fiber-composite suspension arms
- Planetary differential with steel gears
- Disc brake
- Telescoping, U-joint driveshafts
- Extra long, high-volume, oil-filled "Ultra Shocks"