XMODS are 1:28 scale electric radio-controlled cars. The cars' primary marketing focus is on customization, and they are available in a variety of body styles and types traditionally favored by tuners. Fall 2005 saw the introduction of a new model line dubbed "Evolution" which also features a line of trucks. The cars are distributed by RadioShack in the United States, by Hobby Products International (HPI Racing) in Japan and by Carson Modellsport (Subdivision of Tamiya Germany) in Europe.
The original, generation one XMODS were released in fall, 2003, featuring semi-proportional steering and modular construction enabling parts to be swapped. Eleven body styles have been released (one exclusive to Europe and Asia). Hobby Products International continues to distribute the generation 1 car, though RadioShack has discontinued the line in the United States. The XMODS evolution line is now being discontinued in the United States.
For the U.S. models, each car comes with a mini-magazine (Super Street for the Japanese models and Hot Rod for the American models), featuring write-ups on selected models and upgrade accessories.
- Yellow or Black; Blue version available only in Europe and Asia through HPI  Silver version available only in Germany on evolution chassis
1997 Toyota Supra
- Red or White
2000 Honda Civic Si Coupe
- Blue or Black
- Yellow; White version available only in Europe and Asia through HPI 
2004 Nissan 350Z
- Copper; Silver version available only in Europe and Asia through HPI Blue version available only in Germany on evolution chassis
1967 Chevrolet Camaro
- Red, Orange version available only in Germany on evolution chassis
1965 Ford Mustang coupe
- Light Blue, Dark Blue available only in Germany on evolution chassis
- Blue; White, Orange HPI and Yellow Fujitsubo Racing Colors version available only in Europe and Asia through HPI   
- Silver; available only in Europe and Asia through HPI 
In addition to body kits for the models above, other body shells were available separately. These came with matching body kits, controller steering wheels and compatible drive shafts.
1997 Toyota Supra
2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
The XMODS Evolution models were released in the autumn of 2005. They have substantial construction differences from the previous model and are available with either a car or truck chassis. eight body styles have been released as of June 2007. The electronics were vastly improved, with one main board compared to two separate pieces in the gen. 1.
Like the previous generation models, each XMODS Evolution car comes with a Super Street (Japanese models) or Hot Rod (American models) mini-magazine. Truck models get a Truckin' mini-magazine.
1967 Pontiac Firebird
2004 Hummer H2
- Dark Gray
2005 Ford F-150
- Orange, Blue
2006 Ford Mustang
- Dark Blue
2006 Scion tC
2006 Nissan Titan
In addition to body kits for the models above, A blue Ford F-150 body shell was available separately for the truck series. It came with body kits, controller steering wheel and compatible drive shafts and chassis extension parts. Also, Yellow and Red Hummer H2 bodies were available through Carson in Germany. These had body color bumpers, rather than gray, as seen on the black Hummer.
XMODS Evolution TransformersEdit
In June 2007, RadioShack released two XMODS Evolution models to coincide with the release of the film Transformers. Unlike other XMODS, which come in reusable plastic cases, these models came in standard boxes. Special body and light kits were available for these models. RadioShack stores were told not to sell them during a period in January due to a defect in the chassis. Under pressure, the chassis will crack and eventually break.
- Golden Yellow with Black Stripes
- Accessory kit comes with light kit, hood-mounted cannon and door-mounted missile launchers.
- Black with white doors
- Accessory kit comes with light kit, headlight claws and hood-mounted missile launcher.
XMODS can be extensively modified using parts supplied by RadioShack and other aftermarket vendors. The starter kits advertise the ability to change the motor, wheels, tires, trim kit, springs/shocks, and bearings (From nylon bushings to steel bearings), add lighting kits, and swap the crystal to allow the cars to operate on multiple frequncies.
Tutorials for modifications are also available on various XMODS forum sites. In Japan, HPI distributes XMODS, in Europe distributed by CARSON Modellsport, with the cars having the same colors as those offered in the U.S. by RadioShack, but also some exclusive body colors and body tops not available to the US market.Template:Reflist
Even though each model has a different body, all models in a particular line share the same or similar chassis. The most notable difference in the chassis is its length relative to its body top. You can also add motor upgrades onto them for faster speeds.
While using non-RadioShack upgrades, it is possible to achieve up to 45 MPH.
Most people have used servo motors in their Xmods trucks to achieve higher torque, thus easier crawling, but with a very limited top speed.
3rd Generation XmodsEdit
The 3rd Generation Xmods have in fact been confirmed July 2, 2008, via Radioshack employee memos with the expectation of new models hitting the shelves in November. According to the memo, Xmods are" back this fall by popular demand, [and] bigger and better than ever!" Information as to what models will be available is yet to be announced, as they where discontinued in January of 2010.
The relase will include:
- 2008 Nissan GT-R (Silver)
- Chevrolet Corvette C6 (Red)
- 1965 Ford Mustang (Black) '
- 2008 Audi R8 (Gunmetal)
- 2010 Ford Mustang (Burgundy)
- 2009 Nissan 370Z (Red)
- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 (Orange)
Others will be announced later.
The 3rd gen Xmods will run on the Xmods Evolution Chassis. Some changes are the removal of the crystals (WARNING: some shops have discontinued the crystals set, but you can still get them on ebay), the body is one piece moulded plastic, and the wheel wobble has been decreased.
- About XMODS
- HPI Racing - XMODS
- German Distributor CARSON Modellsport - XMODS Gen.1
- German Distributor CARSON Modellsport - XMODS Evolution
- German Distributor CARSON Modellsport - XMODS Evolution Truckin´
- xmodsrc.com, Official RadioShack website.
- Palo Alto, CA Racers, a meetup group
- Apex Magnets, XMOD motor magnets